VELscope® Oral Cancer Screening
Dr. Mark Hagopian provides oral cancer screening to check your mouth for signs of cancer and other diseases. We use advanced VELscope® technology, which allows us to diagnose oral cancer in the earliest stages of development so that you can begin treatment as soon as possible. To schedule your appointment with our dentist and learn more about VELscope oral cancer screening in Glastonbury, Connecticut, call Somerset Dental Group today at 860-657-5533.
Oral cancer can usually be treated when diagnosed early. However, in many cases, oral cancer is not diagnosed until it reaches a more serious stage. We recommend that you receive an oral cancer screening annually to check for signs of cancer and other abnormalities when they are in the earliest stages. These screenings can be performed as part of your regular dental exams.
Oral cancer includes cancers of the lips, tongue, cheeks, throat, sinuses, floor of the mouth, and the hard and soft palates. Common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Lumps, bumps, or rough spots on the gums, lips or other oral structures
- Oddly colored tissue in the mouth (red, white or speckled red-and-white patches)
- A persistent sore throat or a feeling that something is caught at the back of your throat
- Sores on the face, neck or mouth that bleed easily and do not heal within a couple of weeks
- Loss of feeling, pain, or numbness in the face, neck and mouth areas
- Ear pain
- Difficulty chewing, speaking or swallowing
- Changes in the fit of oral appliances or your bite
If you notice any of these symptoms or have any questions, please contact our office to make an appointment with our dentist. We want to make sure that oral cancer or other conditions are diagnosed as early as possible so that you have an increased chance of successful treatment. Our team is committed to helping you regain and maintain your oral health.